Hey there! I’m Kate. Welcome to my online reading room!
About the Blog
Parchment Girl is the place where I celebrate my insuppressible literary obsession with you, fellow book lovers of the world. In this space you’ll find reviews, discussions, Q&As with authors and fellow book bloggers, listicles on just about every bookish topic imaginable, and a whole lot more.
Get to Know Me
Here are ten things about me before we get started:
- I’m from Massachusetts, but I’ve lived in the South for the last ten years (well, sort of…I still spend a lot of time up north). My heart will always be in New England.
- I’m one of those annoying environmentalists who can’t stop talking about the evils of big agra or the dangers of fracking. I have to stop myself from surreptitiously slipping Michael Pollan books into people’s bags.
- I’m a Book Riot contributor.
- I’m a Christian. I occasionally write about Christian books on this blog.
- I’ve read quite a lot about personality typing and have found it to be applicable and useful in my own life. I’m an INTJ in Myers-Briggs speak and an Enneagram 5w4 SP/SX.
- I read almost nothing but mysteries until I was about ten years old before finally branching out into other genres. Long live Nancy Drew!
- Middle-earth and Hogwarts are my favorite fictional worlds.
- I’m a big movie buff. I particularly love film adaptations and firmly believe that, when done right, they can add something unique and wonderful to the way readers experience a story.
- This may be a bit obvious, but I really like making lists. There are an obscene number of lists on this blog.
- I really like puppies. Also kittens. Pretty much anything cute and fluffy. Here is a gratuitous photo of an adorable fur baby:
My Favorite Books
If you ask me what my favorite book is, the answer will probably change depending on the time of day, my mood, the weather, the last time I clipped my toe nails, and innumerable other factors. So, to give you an idea of the sort of books I like, I’ve compiled this selection of favorites, both old and new:
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
- The Brain’s Way of Healing by Norman Doidge, M.D.
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
- All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood
- The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston & Mario Spezi
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
- Daring to Drive by Manal al-Sharif
- Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
- Harry Potter (all of them, but especially The Prisoner of Azkaban) by J.K. Rowling
- At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon
Grab a cup of tea, pull up a chair, and get started with some of my best + most popular posts:
I love to connect with fellow readers via social media. You can find me on the following sites:
You can also shoot me an email on the contact page.
If you like what you see here, sign up to receive my blog posts right in your inbox. As a bonus, you’ll receive three free literary wallpapers for your desktop!
Do you want to promote your your bookish business? Click here for more info.
Thanks for stopping by!